I know I “should” be journaling and keeping up with my blog, but somehow, organically, my mind and imagination know themselves better than any “should” I lay about myself. Seems like, every so often, I need a quiet spell from writing, so that I can step up to a more evolved writing.
Fortunately, this is occurring now when I have only two or three blank pages in my journal and will begin a new one soon. I’ve been obsessed with Maya Angelou’s suggestion, dictum, mandate, “pay Attention.” For every journal, I start with a title page that carries a broad theme for my writing for that journal. The journal I am finishing has the title, “Fired Up and Ready To Go.” My next journal, I think, will have this title, “Paying Attention.” I want to translate Angelou’s dictum into action. “Paying” is present tense, thus, embodying the activity of paying attention. So PAYING ATTENTION it is, and that will be the focus of the journal, along with numerous digressions.
After the title page I will write a new Artist’s/Poet’s Manifesto. like:
1. I will write juicy tasty vine ripened poems.
2. Avoid egotism and navel centered writing.
3. Write naked, write, in my underwear, write full clothed. Metaphors for writing totally open to totally out of the poem.
4. AND MORE: I always tape an envelope to the front inside cover to insert words and power prompts, and I always illustrate with colored pencils and pens, my title page.
5. DO YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR MY MANIFESTO??? TELL ME Please.
LAZY BONES, sometimes, like the well you emptied today, needs overnight to refresh. So too, time away from writing, even that is, Paying Attention.